Uffizi, Secret Gardens, and Friendships

Ciao! My study abroad program is going so well, and the experiences I have had so far are remarkable. Let me start by telling you about The Uffizi Gallery we visited today. The Uffizi Gallery is the most visited museum in Italy and attracts over two million visitors annually. The Uffizi Gallery building was constructed in 1560 thru 1580 and designed by Giorgio Vasari. The Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cosimo I de Medici, commissioned the building to be built. The building’s architectural style is that of Italian Mannerism. The Uffizi Gallery building originally housed the offices of the government judiciary. The Uffizi was also where the Medici family displayed their art collection. As each generation grew, they continued to expand the building as well. They would add rooms to accommodate artworks they acquired throughout their generations. Presently the Uffizi Gallery has ninety-three rooms filled with magnificent works of art treasures from the past.
The Uffizi Gallery is famous worldwide for its collection of ancient sculptures and paintings. In addition, it houses a collection of artworks from the 14th century and largely the Renaissance period. The pieces include works from some of the most famous artists in history; Giotto, Francesca, Filippo Lippi, Botticelli, Leonardo, Rembrandt, and Michelangelo, to name a few. I love the picture below with one of my classmates inspecting a Leonardo Da Vinci. Look at the child standing next to him. The best part is that when Payton, my classmate, graduates, he wants to be a museum director. Great start, Payton! You will do well. Just imagine the feelings you receive when walking through this museum from one famous art piece to another. Standing in rooms with masterpiece paintings can become overwhelming. I do want to add you can take pictures inside the museum. Yes, you can find those pictures online, but you won’t find one with yourself next to the great work of art.

Oh, and the class I am taking at FUA, Florence University of Arts, is so interesting. From the setting of the classrooms to the daily walks to explore the concepts and design features of the ancient gardens. I opted to study the course Secret Gardens in Florence. Check out the picture of the classroom below. It is a stunning remarkable room inside an older building with great character. This course is informative, with tons of intriguing information linking to Florence’s cultural aspects. And to boot, we don’t just read about the subject or study it from a book; we actually go out and explore what we are learning. For instance, the father of the Renaissance, Botticelli was not only an architect; he also depicted many of the ancient designed gardens in his works of art. So when visiting the galleries, you not only see his work, you will also see magnificent gardens within them. Daily we will walk to a garden with significant historical concepts influenced by all scholars, artists, and notable individuals of the period.

Not only am I learning through my courses at FUA and with my professor from IU East, but I am also thoroughly enjoying my time here with my classmates and other students worldwide. We have enjoyed our time exploring new places, cultures, and of course, fabulous culinary delights. Each of us has something to offer in learning and supporting one another in our educational journey. There is something so refreshing about learning and having new experiences with newly found friends and roommates.

Martina

Payton & Da Vinci
Classroom @ FUA
Secret Gardens