Tuesday’s adventures in London!

Hello all,

We went to visit the Anglia Ruskin University today and they discussed with us about their simulation lab. Two of our group members ran a simulation and we all pitched in as well. The administration spoke with us about students spending 50% of their time in simulation labs and how this is a growing trend in the US.

We also visited Papworth Hospital, internationally known for their heart and lung transplants. We had a lengthy discussion concerning Ventricular Assist Devices. A few English expressions that were picked up in the discussion struck our attention: “Barking Mad” = someone really upset, “Theatres” = surgery suites, “Sister’s Office” = Charge Nurse Office, “Bleepers” = Pagers.

Theatres meaning Surgery Suites

Theatres meaning Surgery Suites

Sisters Office meaning Charge Nurse

Sisters Office meaning Charge Nurse

Tonya holding a 1st line VAD, it was extremely heavy

London 299 London 285

Students performing simulation lab

Students performing simulation lab

About nurse_chicadee

Hello everyone, I am in the Masters Program for Nursing at IU East. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2016 with a Masters in Nursing Administration. I am currently in London, England studying for one of my classes, we are concentrating on the health care system of the UK and the history behind nursing. I am excited to share with you some of our awesome adventures here in London!