#SGAShakinItUp

Hi, everyone! I don’t know about you, but I am super excited for SGA’s FIRST blog entry! Each of our posts will be done by a different member of our organization, and we can’t wait to share who we are and what we are up to with you!

First thing’s first…

Lyndsie

My name is Lyndsie Trumbo, and I am SGA’s Vice President! I am a senior majoring in Social Work with a certificate in Drug/Alcohol Addictions Counseling. This is my 3rd year in SGA and I couldn’t be more excited to be working with such a fantastic group of people! Not only do we have an amazing group of enthusiastic members, but an incredible officer team as well! SGA has become a major part of my life over the last few years, and, if you couldn’t tell, I’m super excited for my final year with this great group!

Okay, enough about me. The semester has just begun but SGA has been SO busy 14022275_1252905051409217_5108787731032098468_nalready! As many of you know, last Friday was the opening of the new Student Events and Activities Center. A few of our members attended the Dedication Ceremony where our President, Lizzi Miller, spoke on behalf of the student body. From there we got a sneak-peek of the Center and sweet talked the Chancellor into taking a picture with us in front of Rufus!

Our officers also got to attend the Grand Opening Celebration where we heard from many different contributors to the success of the Center. It was incredible to see so many people who love IU East just as much as we do in the same room!

Today we kicked off Back with the Pack with the New Student Organization fair! There were HUGE bubbles, FREE Ullery’s ice cream, games from G-1013, and so many freebies! We LOVE handing stuff out, so we always try to pick a giveaway that the other students will actually use and enjoy! Displaying 49369768287__F4E8C5EA-BE3A-4653-B985-DA7F123D30AC.jpgThis year we handed out these really cool salad shakers! Some of our members said absolutely not to the whole salad thing, so we came up with a few ideas for what they could be used for instead: chicken nuggets with dipping sauce, pizza and garlic butter, fruit and yogurt, etc. There are SO MANY OPTIONS! We tried to do a scavenger hunt so we could use the hashtag SGAShakinItUp, but sadly it didn’t go over well. If you weren’t able to get one of these on day 1 of bwtp, I hope you’re able to grab one from our table on day 2!

Today we also had our first “official” meeting of the semester! We had a jam-packed agenda to cover, ranging from things such as designating members as project managers for different events and assigning people to our public relations committee. Another item we discussed was the upcoming election and how we can encourage students to sign up and vote. (Do YOU have any ideas? If so, leave them in the comments below!) Did I mention we also had our FIRST FUNDING PROPOSAL OF THE YEAR?! Circle K (a new organization on campus!) came to us to get funding for their first ever event! They will be having an ice cream sundae social to recruit new members for their club. This event will be held on September 7th from 4:30-6 pm in the Graf Center! Make sure to stop in for some free ice cream and to learn about this great organization!

Does YOUR student organization need funding for an event? Come to our next meeting to find out how we can help you! SGA meetings are held every other Tuesday from 3:30-5pm in the Campus Life Conference Room. Our next meeting will be on September 6th, and we hope to see you there!

-YourSGA

About yoursga

The members of SGA will use this blog to keep our readers up-to-date on what is going on with our organization!