Journal of Student Research at IU East
The Journal is an annual, open access showcase of select undergraduate and graduate work, published through IU Scholarworks. Currently enrolled students are invited to submit scholarly and/or creative work, which is considered on a rolling basis. Publishing decisions are made by faculty editors. The Journal also plans publication of an annual print edition (stay tuned!).Visit the Journal of Student Research blog
What to Submit
Submit your best work of any genre: scholarly essays or articles, creative work such as poetry or short fiction or reflective pieces. The work should be revised, following any suggestions made by a faculty member, and proofread carefully. Please note that the Journal only accepts previously unpublished work.
Help in Prepping Your Work
Contact the Writing Center for editorial or citation assistance. Either managing editor is also available to help!
How to Submit
Create an account at Scholarworks, then follow the prompts to upload your document (.doc, .docx or pdf only, please.). You are also welcome to email your document to either of the managing editors, below.
Submission & Review Process
What work is accepted?
- Literature review
- Research paper/report
- Creative work
- Visual digital presentations
- Recordings of your Student Research Day oral presentation
- And more!
What are some guidelines?
- Open to current IU East students
- Must be original work
- Free from grammar, spelling, and ethical issues
- Not already published or before another journal for consideration
Why should I submit?
- Be published in a high-quality, open-access journal so scholars can see your work!
- Looks great on a resume or grad school application
- Shareable link to show your work to friends and family
Give me a few tips!
- An instructor will need to sign off as your mentor for the work
- Check your citations (APA)
- Use the IU East Writing Center for help: writing or citations
- Provide image use permissions
What happens after I submit?
- Work will be vetted by faculty research advisors and the editorial board.
- A Faculty Research Advisor is responsible for content vetting.
- Section Editors and Journal Editors work to help students perfect a publishable product
- Co-Editors provide oversight and assign submissions.
- The inital review process may take several weeks - you will be notified if you're accepted or denied.
- The Editorial Team will be in contact after your submission is accepted.
- JSRIUE staff will work with you:
last minute details;
image rights & permissions;
final approval of layout;
and final publication.