Senior Capstone Art Exhibition open at Room 912

The Senior Capstone Art Exhibition, which includes works by nine Indiana University East seniors, is on display in the Room 912 Gallery, located at 912 E. Main Street in Richmond.

The exhibition is on display May 2-May 30. It is free and open to the public.

IU East’s Fine Arts Program requires students to complete a Senior Capstone Project to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts. Each student must create an original body of work in their area of concentration during their senior year and display their creations in a final exhibition.

Students exhibiting their artwork include Joe Clapp from Eaton, Ohio; Arianna Cook from Cambridge City, Ind.; Jami Dingess from Lynn, Ind.; Kaylyn Flora from Eldorado, Ohio; Kelsey Rubright from Cambellstown, Ohio; and Melissa Whicker, Christin Hampton, Kaly Reichter, and Brittany Williams, all from Richmond, Ind.

Williams said she never thought that she would be in a position where she could make her thoughts and opinions about the world visible to the people around her. She added that the capstone project has opened her eyes to the limitless materials and subjects that the art world encompasses.

“My view on what art is and what it can be has totally changed. When I first started my capstone I had such a closed mind as to what would be considered art and this really hindered my artistic ability for the body of work I was creating,” Williams said. “I have learned through my capstone process that art is what you make it, and when you create art it is bound to go through changes and evolutions. As an artist it is the changes and evolutions that I have come to cherish because they have made me a better artist. Before capstone, I never referred to myself as an artist, but capstone is definitely letting me accept the title. I have a long way to go but I am ready for the ride.”

Room 912 gallery hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 1-4 p.m. Saturday.

Senior Art Exhibition