45th Annual Whitewater Valley Art Competition
Originating in 1978, the Whitewater Competition has a history of “open judging”, allowing the public to be present when the exhibit entries are accepted or declined for the online exhibit. In this spirit, digital images of entered works will be shared in a live jurying session online via zoom. Intervals in the judging will be scheduled for the public to interact with the three juror panel with regard to rationale related to acceptance or declination of works. Jurors will select 50-55 works for the exhibit. All art submissions will be juried electronically.
$4000 total award money
- 1st place: $2,000 in addition to a 2023 Solo Exhibition Invitation
- 2nd place: $1,000
- 3rd place: $500
- Honorable Mention: Two $250 Awards
- Chancellor’s Choice Purchase Award: Interim Chancellor Michelle Malott and included in the Indiana University East Public Art Collection.
Award Winners will also receive additional special promotion.
Entry DeadlineSunday, September 10, 2023
- Artists must be 18 years or older and reside in Indiana or adjacent states of Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, or Michigan. All work must be original by the submitting artist and cannot have been exhibited in previous Whitewater Valley Art Competitions.
Registration Fee: $35 for up to 3 entries.
Artists may choose to submit three different views of each art piece. Artists submitting more than 3 separate art pieces will be eliminated from consideration. Entry fees will not be refunded.
Submission process via www.callforentry.org
- All visual art mediums (except for video and sound) are allowed. Examples of acceptable works include paintings, drawings, printmaking, digital artworks, photographs, ceramics, jewelry, sculpture, textiles, installation, and mixed media art pieces.
Conditions and Rules
- By submitting work to be considered, artists grant permission to the IU East Art Gallery to reproduce accepted artwork for promotional uses in both printed and electronic forms.
- IU East will through pre-recorded & live-streamed video productions allow everyone throughout the country to view every piece of art that is accepted to our 45th Annual Whitewater Valley Art Competition and view the award ceremony & judge’s comments.
- Indiana University East Art Galleries and its staff adhere to a professional standard of art display and curatorial practices. The safety of our patrons, students, faculty, and staff is our first priority.
- All 2D and 3D wall mounted work must be ready to hang and include the appropriate or specialized hardware. Work must be professionally framed, firmly wired, prepared for hanging, and professionally presented. Please refrain from using sawtooth hangers.
- All reasonable care will be given to objects in the custody of the IU East Galleries. Works are insured while on exhibition in the Tom Thomas Gallery and Meijer Artway exhibition spaces. Please note that our gallery spaces do not feature constant controlled humidity. Indiana University East cannot assume responsibility for the damage or deterioration incurred before or after exhibition, or for possible loss in transit. Prices submitted will be considered as insurance value unless otherwise noted. For works to be labeled "NFS" please include an insurance value on your list of works. If the work has an insurance price of over $500 USD, any insurance claims must be accompanied by documentation or past sales or professional 3rd party appraisals.
- All artwork must remain available and installed for the duration of the exhibition.
- The Artist / Lender maintains all responsibility of insuring all work and accompanying materials during shipping and travel and is responsible for all associated costs. It is imperative that proper arrangements are made before the exhibition including prepayment of all return shipping costs and that work arrives just prior to installation dates. Due to limited space, we will not be able to store work for extended periods. Barring special arrangements agreed upon between the Artist/ Lender and Gallery Coordinator, artworks and any equipment or materials related to the installation of the show remaining on campus for more than 30 days from the closing exhibition date will become the property of Indiana University East Galleries. Please use the following address for shipping:
Indiana University East Galleries
Attn: Gallery Coordinator
Whitewater Hall 137
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
- September 10, 11:59pm: Deadline to submit artwork via www.callforentry.org
- We cannot accept cash or entry fees paid through CallforEntry.org. Entry fees can be paid by calling the IU East campus Bursar's Office at (765) 973-8345 Monday through Friday between 9am-11am or 1pm-4pm, and specify the "Whitewater Valley Art Competition". If you pay by credit card, please enter “0000” as your check number on the website. Entry fees can also be paid by personal check, cashier's check, or money order and sent to the following address:
c/o Carrie Longley, Campus Art Director
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
All questions should be directed toward Art Director Carrie Longley at email@example.com.