How to Apply & Get Benefits

In order to receive your VA benefits, you must contact Tim Fienning, VA Benefits Coordinator, in the Office of Financial Aid to complete registration in-processing for using your VA education benefits at IU East. Tim will collect information based on your service in order to report your enrollment to the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

On-campus students should complete this process in person; distance education students may contact Tim at tfiennin(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign), (765) 973-8449 for more options.

Eligible service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling. See the process for applying for tuition assistance.

NOTE: Academic Calendar important dates and deadlines.

Following the steps below will ensure that you get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.


1. Apply for Admission to Indiana University East (IUE)

If you have never attended Indiana University East (or any other IU campus), you need to apply for admission. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will be able to register for classes. Please visit the Office of Admissions in Whitewater Hall, Rm. 151 or contact an admissions representative at 800.959.3278/765.973.8208, e-mail at applynow(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign) You may apply to IU East on the web. Contact us if you need help making this decision.

2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. Completing this form will ensure you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits. The most potential aid is given to students who complete the form before March 1, Indiana University’s priority submission date. Visit the FAFSA Web site to fill out and submit the application.

3. Submit Military Transcripts or DD214

Your military training may equate to academic credit at Indiana University East. If you are using VA Education Benefits you are required to provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD214 discharge documents to the IU East Office of Admissions. Use the following resources to request your military transcript:

4. Attend New Student Orientation

By attending new student orientation, you can learn about student organizations and popular activities around campus. You will also have the opportunity to meet with your academic advisor who will help you plan your first semester and academic career.

If you are unable to attend orientation sessions due to military commitments, inform the Office of Admissions in a reply to your orientation invitation.

5. Schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor

At IU East, it’s important to the faculty and staff that you move through your education in a purposeful, efficient way so we require that each military student meet with an academic advisor each term before he or she registers for classes. Within, in your Student Center, you will see an Advising Hold. You cannot complete the registration process until you have discussed your academic plans each term. Your advisor will resolve the hold once you have met and selected your classes.

Use the number or email provided in Student Center “Advisor” box to contact your advisor. You can request a phone appointment or an in person appointment.

6. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits

Visit the official GI Bill® Web site to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you, or contact us and we can guide you through the process. Please complete one of the following forms through Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web site.

  • VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans) (MGIB-CH30, Post 9/11-CH33, MGIBSR-CH1606, REAP-CH1607)
  • VA Form 22-1995: Change in Program/Place of Training, for those who have used the GI Bill at another institution
  • VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred
  • VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training, for those who have used Chapter 35 benefits at another institution

Third-Party Payment Sponsors – Sponsored students are those for whom an agency outside the university is paying their fees, such as “tuition assistance” through military service branch.  Applying for Tuition Assistance (TA) – Students are responsible for obtaining and submitting their TA voucher

Tuition and Fee Exemption for the Child(ren) of a Disabled Veteran: If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran.

Tuition and Fee Exemption for Purple Heart Recipients: The state also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart.

After the application form is approved by the Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs, it should be forwarded to:

Indiana University East
Office of Financial Aid
Whitewater Hall, Rm. 112
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374

7. Questions

Please feel free to contact Tim Fienning, Indiana University East, VA Benefits Coordinator, tfiennin(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign), (765) 973-8449 should you have any questions regarding the use of your VA education benefits at IU East.

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at