Residency & Non-Resident Fee Remission

Non-Resident Fee Remission

If you are serving on active duty stationed in Indiana on PCS orders, you and your spouse may be considered nonresidents of the state of Indiana for university tuition purposes. However, your military status entitles you to a remission of the nonresident portion of your credit hour fees. If you wish to be considered for fee remission, you must provide a copy of the military orders to the Office of the Bursar. Spouses of military personnel must produce a military-issued identification card in addition to military orders. Once your eligibility has been determined, the bursar’s office will remit the nonresident portion of the credit hour fees.

The residency status of children of full-time military personnel is addressed by Trustees Residence Guidelines, Rule 2(c).

Residency Exception (SEA 177)

If you are a veteran with an honorable discharge who is enrolling as a non-resident undergraduate within 12 months of separation from service, you may qualify for a residency exception under Senate Enrolled Act 177. Current members of the Indiana National Guard are also eligible. You must present a copy of your DD214 or proof of current NG membership. You are also required to show intent to establish residency by providing an Indiana driver’s license, IN automobile registration, or IN voter registration within your first 12 months at IU. This exception does not change your residency classification, but provides a reduction in tuition charges down to the resident (in-state) rate.  Again, it is only valid for one year.  Questions regarding residency should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, earecord(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)