Withdraw from IU East

What to know about withdrawing from IU East

Please note that failure to pay your bursar bill doesn’t withdraw you from IU East. If you don’t withdraw properly, you risk receiving grades of F in your courses. You’ll also be responsible for all course fees, plus any applicable late fees, through the time you officially withdraw.

If you decide not to attend, you must follow these procedures:

What happens when you cancel your registration depends on whether or not it’s after the first week of the term.

Through the first week of the term

You can withdraw from IU East without penalty during the first week of the semester. Cancel your registration by dropping all of your classes. After you drop all classes, print a copy of your class schedule to make sure all classes were dropped.

After the first week of the term

If you withdraw after the first week of classes, the classes in which you were enrolled will appear on your record with a grade of W or F as appropriate and a note with the date you withdrew.

While a grade of W doesn’t affect your GPA, keep in mind that a pattern of withdrawals may raise concerns about a lack of satisfactory progress toward your degree.

Check the academic calendar

If you owe a balance on your student account, pay it by the due date. Past due balances will keep you from obtaining a transcript or registering at any IU campus.

Continue to monitor your student account and your IU email account for a few months after you withdraw to make sure all account adjustments have been made.

It can take up to 30 days for your student account to be finalized and a refund issued (if you’re due one).

When you withdraw matters

What approvals you need and what your grade will be depend on when you withdraw.

This information applies to standard 16-week terms and 6-week summer session classes. For classes less than 16 weeks long or summer session classes greater or less than 6 weeks long, contact the Office of the Registrar for signature requirements and deadlines.

  • Signatures required: None
  • Grade assigned: None
  • Study list: Class will be deleted from your academic record
  • Official transcript: Class will not appear

Learn about drop/add

  • Signatures required: None
  • Grade assigned: None
  • Study list: Class will appear with Dropped status
  • Official transcript: Class will not appear

Learn about drop/add

  • Signatures required
    • First three days of class: None
    • Fourth day of class: Advisor
  • Grade assigned: None
  • Study list: Class will appear with Dropped status
  • Official transcript: Class will not appear

Learn about drop/add

You can use eDrop/eAdd or obtain a drop/add form from your advisor or school, get the required signatures, and submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

  • Signatures required: Advisor only
  • Grade assigned: A grade of W will automatically be assigned
  • Study list: Class will appear with Enrolled status and a grade of W
  • Official transcript: Class will appear with a grade of W

You should drop classes at this point only under exceptional, extenuating circumstances.

  • Signatures/approvals required: Your advisor, instructor, and dean (via online drop request)
  • Grade assigned: Your instructor will assign a grade of W or F
  • Study list: Class will appear with a grade of W or F as assigned by the instructor
  • Official transcript: Class will appear with a grade of W or F as assigned by the instructor

Withdrawing due to an emergency

You may need to withdraw from IU East due to an unexpected event such as a major medical issue, death in the family, job loss, or divorce. In cases such as these, contact the IU East Student Advocate in the Office of Student Success for assistance and resources, and you may be able to make an appeal for a refund of tuition and fees.

Military withdrawal or leave of absence

If you serve in the U.S. armed forces, we understand that you may be called to duty with little notice for:

  • Active duty deployment (not including basic training)
  • Specialized training
  • Disaster relief efforts

Contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance as soon as you’re notified of an upcoming deployment or extended military duty and learn about our policies.

While the following policy does not pertain to initial active duty training (i.e. basic training), this policy is provided in order to minimize disruptions or inconveniences for students fulfilling their unanticipated U.S. military responsibilities in the midst of an academic term/session.

  • Any student called to active duty, specialized training or as part of disaster relief efforts may withdraw from all courses and receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees.
  • With the permission of the instructor(s), a student may receive an incomplete or a final grade in some or all of the courses taken.

Either option may occur anytime during the semester through the end of final examinations. If the withdrawal is processed after the first week of classes, the grade of W will be assigned. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to the refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid.

The request to withdraw needs to be made within one week of official notification by the military service and may be made by either the student or other responsible party who has the student’s military information.

Students who wish to withdraw from courses as a result of being called to active duty, specialized training, or disaster relief efforts must provide a copy of their orders to the Office of the Registrar in person by email at earecord@iue.edu along with a signed note asking to be withdrawn.

The Office of the Registrar provides a one-point-of-contact process for withdrawals so students won’t need to visit various offices. Students or other responsible parties may wish to contact the Registrar’s Office first to begin the withdrawal process based on some official military documentation, with the understanding that a copy of the orders would need to be forthcoming.

Students who cannot enroll for a future term or who need to withdraw from a current term due to military commitments can also be placed on a military leave of absence that will extend access to their IU computer and email accounts while they are gone. A copy of orders provided to the Registrar’s Office will initiate this action.

Some students elect to take courses while deployed. Please check with your academic advisor in advance to determine whether your degree program will accept independent study or online courses.

Your options for completing any remaining coursework vary greatly depending on your individual situation, timing, and remaining requirements. Your first step should always be to discuss your situation with your course instructor. Some students are able to negotiate the completion of all course requirements with their instructors, despite their absence. Others may be offered incompletes that must be finished within one calendar year of the end of the term of enrollment. In other cases, it may be in your best interest to withdraw from the course.

When you return from active duty and are ready to resume your studies at Indiana University East, please contact the Office of the Registrar. Please explain to the staff person you need to be “reinstated after absence due to military duty.” This information will be helpful in getting your reinstatement to IU East expedited. Once reinstated, you will be able to register for classes via One.IU.

Once you are registered for classes, contact the Office of Financial Aid to request that your enrollment be reported to Veterans Affairs for benefits. You will need to forward a copy of any new DD 214 discharge documents to the VA for evaluation. This may change which program you are eligible for, or your tier of benefits. The Office of Financial Aid can also assist you with this process.

What happens to your aid if you withdraw?

For more information on what happens to your aid if you withdraw, please navigate to this web page: Withdrawals and Repayment of Federal and State Aid

Learn how to keep your aid