Study abroad aid

Get aid to study abroad

If you’re an undergraduate student planning to study overseas in a program that is administered or co-sponsored by IU East or IU, you’re eligible for most of the same financial aid options as if you were studying at IU East. Additional financial aid may also be available, so be sure to talk to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

To be eligible for aid, you must register for at least 6 credit hours for the term you’ll be studying abroad. You must have a current FAFSA on file and meet all other criteria such as maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

Financial aid won’t be disbursed until the start of the term in which you study abroad, so be prepared to pay some program costs in advance.

How to get started

There are three types of study abroad programs, and each has its own instructions for enrollment.

You must enroll in the IU East course assigned to the program.

You must complete a consortium agreement and get your academic advisor’s signature, then return the signed form to the Office of Financial Aid. You must also register for the course at the IU campus where it is offered.

How to file your consortium agreement

If you're considering a non-IU program, contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your options.

Not all aid will apply

Some financial aid won’t apply for overseas programs. For example, programs co-sponsored through IU (e.g., IES AbroadCouncil on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)) and external programs will not allow you to use the fee benefit, federal student aid awards, fee remissions, or assistance to a child of a disabled veteran. For those, you must be paying actual tuition costs at IU East or another IU campus.

Interested in studying abroad?

Find a study abroad program