¿Hablas Español? Parlez-vous Français? Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
If you've already taken language classes in high school or have other experience learning a language, take a placement test to see what course level is recommended to continue your language education.
Depending on your placement test scores, CBE may be available to you. If you are interested, talk to your advisor after receiving your test scores.
Contact the testing center to schedule your placement test
- You can take the test only once.
- You should take the test as soon as possible, while the prior language is still fresh, especially freshmen and transfer students.
- Study before the test using these review sheets: Spanish; French: German
- The placement test consists of a computerized exam (to be taken at the Testing Center or online via Zoom).
- The exam includes both written and audio components.
- Official results and further information will be sent to your IU email address.
The day of the test
- No textbooks, dictionaries, cell phones are allowed.
- Indicate your IU email address.
- Can take in person or via Zoom from the comfort of your home!
Placement Exam for Other Languages
If you have knowledge of a language not listed here, you may complete a placement exam at any accredited institution. Those results should be sent to your academic advisor, who will contact World Languages & Culture faculty for assessment.
Students seeking a B.A. in Humanities with a Music Concentration, a minor in Music, or are taking music theory courses may be able to test out of MUS-T 109 (or T 101) and/or MUS-P 110 through an interview and placement test.
Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Students who have had significant training or experience in public speaking prior to enrolling at Indiana University East may seek to receive special credit by examination for SPCH-S 121: Public Speaking. The process includes a satisfactory completion of a written exam, followed by a live or recently recorded oral presentation that demonstrates an above average degree of oral communication proficiency for successful completion.
Full-time undergraduate students at Indiana University East who are in good standing and who have never enrolled in SPCH-S 121 or an equivalent course may contact the Public Speaking Program Coordinator to petition the Department for credit by examination. A student may not be concurrently enrolled in SPCH-S 121.
Credit by examination is available only one time to any student who qualifies. No part of the credit by examination assessment may be repeated.
Students are required to submit both portions of the assessment prior to November 1 to receive credit during the fall semester or prior to March 1 to receive credit during the spring semester. Credit by examination is not available during summer terms.
C. Joseph Huber
Public Speaking Program Coordinator