Update your information

Change your name

We maintain three names for you:

  • Preferred. You can change your first and/or middle name to a nickname or shortened version of your name (e.g., Matt instead of Matthew). Your preferred name is used in Canvas and on class and grade rosters.
  • Primary. This is your legal name according to the federal government and the state of Indiana. It’s on your academic record, transcripts, and your diploma (unless you’ve indicated a degree name).
  • Degree. This is used on your diploma only. You can request a variation of your legal name for your diploma (e.g., your middle initial rather than your full middle name).  Requests for additional changes can be made, but must meet IU's Preferred Name policy.

To see your current name or to change your preferred first or middle name, use the Change Name app in One.IU. Choose “Edit” to modify your preferred name. Note that this will not update the name on your diploma or transcripts.

Your preferred last name must be the same as your primary last name. If you wish to change your last name, follow the instructions for changing your primary name.

It’s your responsibility to verify that your primary name is listed correctly, including hyphens, spaces, lower and uppercase letters, and accent marks. Your name will appear on your diploma in the same format as it appears in our records.

If your name has been legally changed or is inaccurate in our system, you can request a change. The process for changing your primary name depends on whether you are a student only or both a student and an employee. Either way, you’ll need to include legal documentation of your name, such as a copy of:

  • Your Indiana driver’s license
  • Your Social Security card
  • Your marriage certificate
  • An official court document

You’ll also need to include a photocopy of a photo ID which shows your birthdate.

If you’re a student

Fill out a request for change of name form and either:

  • return it (and bring your ID and legal documentation of your new name as listed above and on the form) in-person to the Office of the Registrar,
  • or scan and email the completed form, your photo ID that includes your birthdate, and legal documentation of your new name as listed above and on the form to earecord@iue.edu.

Please contact the Office of the Registrar with questions or to request this form in an accessible format.

If you’re a student employee

In addition to the process above, please visit the Human Resources office in Whitewater Hall, room 101R, to complete this process. You can email iuehr@iue.edu with questions concerning your primary name.

If you would like a variation of your legal name on your diploma, contact the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to specify that you’re requesting a change to your degree name.

Students who will be pursuing professional licenses or who will be moving abroad for work or study should consider using their legal name on their university awarded diploma. Also, we recommend that international students use their legal name (as it appears on their official university record, visa paperwork, and passport) on their university awarded diploma.

Fix an error in your birth date

If your birth date appears incorrectly in any student records, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Update your social security number

Is your Social Security number (SSN) missing or incorrect? You can add or update it in the SSN/educational tax credit verification area of One.IU.

If you’re unable to change your SSN through One.IU, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Update your address

We keep several addresses on file for you, used for different purposes. Be sure to keep them current so you don’t miss any important communications.

Your student home address is your permanent address, usually a parent’s address or a home you rent or own, where mail will always reach you. This is the only address on your permanent record. You can edit this address, but not delete it.

Your local address is where you live while attending IU East during the current semester. You can edit or delete this address.

Your mailing address is used only by the Office of Admissions before you enroll at IU East. You can edit this address, but not delete it.

Change your address online

You can change your student home, local, and mailing addresses online through the Personal Information app in One.IU. Make sure you don’t add an address type that already exists—if you need to change an address, use the edit button instead.

Keep your phone current

It’s easy to update your phone numbers using the Personal Information tool in One.IU.

Update your phone number

How to update your gender status

Indiana University respects that gender is fluid and subject to change. You’re free to change your gender on record if you don’t identify with it.

All we need is a signed statement from you requesting that we change your gender. Be sure to include your 10-digit university ID number in your written request.

Though we realize gender can fall on a spectrum, the Department of Education recognizes only the gender designations of male and female. So your record must hold one of these two binary values.

We may refuse any document that appears to be fraudulent or unreliable. All documents must be in English or must be presented with a verifiably accurate English translation.

Where to send your statement

If you're a student

Submit your documentation in person to the Office of the Registrar during normal business hours. Updates to your record usually take about a day, but may take longer depending on the time of year.

If you're a student employee

If you are an hourly or nonacademic staff member, visit Whitewater Hall 101R to begin this process or email iuehr@iue.edu with questions concerning this topic.