Welcome to the School of Humanities & Social Sciences
Thank you for visiting the School of Humanities and Social Sciences’ (HSS) website. Explore the many academic programs and experiences we offer to Indiana University East undergraduate and graduate students. HSS students work with highly-qualified and dedicated faculty who are talented and caring educators and renowned researchers in their respective disciplines.
Consider a major or a minor in one of the many disciplines within Humanities and Social Science. Take a course in history, music, psychology, or literature; travel to one of numerous locations in the world as part of a study abroad course; participate in experiential travel within the US; complete an internship locally or regionally; conduct research and present at Student Research Day; engage with service learning; join a club or organization; get involved!
Our students receive expert advising and support from our highly-qualified professional advisors and from faculty mentors. They help you shape your academic career, selecting classes that you need for your major and various electives; they offer advice about potential careers and graduate school along with many other opportunities.
Upon graduation, you can embark on a career in fields such as law enforcement, technical writing and editing, grant writing, counseling, education, law, public administration and service, public relations, telecommunications, nonprofit administration, art, music, politics, international affairs, and many more.
Please contact us or any of the faculty or staff with any questions about HSS. We hope to see you in many of our classes in the future!
Dean, School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor, World Languages and Cultures
Margaret Thomas Evans
Associate Dean, School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Associate Professor, English
The mission of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is to ignite and maintain students’ intellectual curiosity and critical thinking by providing meaningful learning experiences and promoting academic excellence.
The school encourages exploration of the many dimensions of the human condition through teaching, scholarly and creative activities, and service.
We strive to create a welcoming community building upon diversity, equity, and inclusivity that prepares students to live and work in an increasingly interconnected world, both local and global.
The School of Humanities & Social Sciences will be recognized as a model regional campus and leader in higher education in the region. In achieving this vision we will:
- Lead in innovative, high-impact pedagogy such as experiential learning, emphasizing real-life applications, collaborative connections, and community and global engagement.
- Mentor students to develop the knowledge and skills to empower them to transform communities and serve in a diverse and dynamic world.
- Achieve an atmosphere of intellectual curiosity, inclusivity, and engaged citizenship.
Supportive Environment: Sufficient resources, opportunities, positive relationships
Diversity: Awareness of perspectives and backgrounds, inclusivity and equity
Adaptability: Innovation, rigor, collaboration, personal relationships
High Impact: Experiential learning, research with students, community engagement
Career Focus: Critical thinking, lifelong learning
Initiative 1 - Curriculum & Programs
- Goal #1 Grow enrollments
- Goal #2 Increase opportunities for transferable professional skills
- Goal #3 Develop programs that meet the 21st century needs of our region
Initiative 2 - Growth & Sustainability
- Goal #1 Increase visibility of contributions to the campus culture and larger community
- Goal #2 Promote and highlight student success
- Goal #3 Promote growth and sustainability through further addressing resource needs
Initiative 3 - Outreach
- Goal #1 Market faculty and events
- Goal #2 Create strategic partnerships with discipline-specific community organizations
- Goal #3 Build a culture of community engagement
Initiative 4 - Relationships
- Goal #1 Enhance faculty-student relationships through mentoring
- Goal #2 Enhance student skillset marketability through mentoring
Initiative 5 - Scholarly & Creative Inquiry
- Goal #1 Recognize and promote faculty and student engagement in research, including scholarship of teaching and learning
- Goal #2 Increase flexibility to allow for more time for faculty to engage in research and creative activities
- Goal #3 Expand opportunities to engage and collaborate with colleagues, students, and communities
Initiative 6 - Teaching & Learning
- Goal #1 Develop adjunct support and institutional connectedness
- Goal #2 Encourage the implementation of hip in Online and F2F class offerings
- Goal #3 Enhance and expand faculty and student collaboration to increase student success
HSS Strategic Plan 2022-2026
Margaret Thomas Evans
Whitewater Hall 275
Chair, Communication Studies
Tom Raper Hall 240
Writing Program Director, English
Whitewater Hall 276
Tom Raper Hall 268
Chair, Religious Studies
Chair, World Languages and Cultures
Tom Raper Hall 242
Director of Graduate Programs, English
Whitewater Hall 263
Director, Women's and Gender Studies
Whitewater Hall 269
Chair, Fine and Performing Arts
E. Scott Lee
Chair, Criminal Justice and Political Science
Tom Raper Hall 252
Director, Art Gallery
Tom Raper Hall 160
Tom Raper Hall 238
Whitewater Hall 272
Director of Public Speaking and the Communication Center, Communication Studies
Tom Raper Hall 256
Program Coordinator, International Studies
Tom Raper Hall 266
Director, Graduate Programs
Program Coordinator, General Studies
Tom Raper Hall 250
|Community Benefit Director at Reid Health
|Education Director at Richmond Art Museum
|Wayne County Chamber Director of Programs
|Interim Vice Chancellor of External Affairs at IU East
|Executive Director of Preble County Arts Association
|Marketing and PR Specialist at Morrisson-Reeves Library and Lingle Real Estate
|Executive Director of WCTV
|Millicent "Millie" Martin Emery
|Writer, designer and assistant editor at Hometown Media Group
|Manager of Existing Business and Education at EDC Wayne County IN
|Director of Stage One at Richmond Civic Theatre
|HR manager with Johns Manville
|Attorney in Eaton Prosecutor's Office